Greg MacLellan

October 29, 2009

Media Wiring, Part 2

Filed under: Renovations — groogs @ 10:00 pm

I finished up all the jacks for the media wiring – the cables for which I ran back in March (see Media Wiring, Part 1.

imgp4197 imgp4198

imgp4199 imgp4200

imgp4204I also finished terminating the network cables for the basement (10 drops). Since I was rushing to get them in before the insulation was done, I didn’t actually label any of the wires. Luckily, I have a wire tracer, which is an extremely handy tool for these sorts of situations. Plug in the base unit to the jack you want to find..

imgp4207.. and then the indicator will make noise when you find the corresponding cable in your bundle.

I punched these cables down to the patch panel in the makeshift relay rack in my crawlspace.

imgp4281 imgp4280

It’s almost a shame I’ll have furniture hiding everything from view..
imgp4279 imgp4278

October 28, 2009

Finshing baseboard

Filed under: Renovations — groogs @ 9:00 pm

imgp4141 Back to something I hate doing: trim.


imgp4161 imgp4165

imgp4193I spent some time trying to decide how to finish the fridge cubby hole, then ended up using some stop molding for the edges (the baseboard I had was too thick, and too large for a tiny space you shouldn’t really notice), and some corner guard for the end. I sanded it down so the edges extend out a bit and are rounded down.

imgp4079 I also installed the plinth in the laundry room, which is just a piece of 1″ pine (same as I used for the window sills) painted white. I had to notch out space to make room for the cabinet legs, and then mitered the two pieces together.


imgp4081 imgp4086

imgp4273In the bathroom, I had one small challenge, which was a bit of an oversight on my part many months ago, during the plumbing rough-in phase: the toilet supply valve is below the top of the baseboard. I debated what to do with this for a while, and ended up cutting a notch into the baseboard, filling it with putty (to avoid seeing the ugly MDF “grain”), sanding and painting it. It turned out reasonably nicely, even if it does look a bit weird.

With this, both the laundry room and bathroom are now complete!

imgp4158 imgp4274

October 27, 2009

Laundry room bulkhead

Filed under: Renovations — groogs @ 11:03 pm

Once again, I am quite far behind in blogging my progress, so I’ll try to create some posts to catch up. For this one, I figured it would make more sense to show it through several stages over time, to explain why things were done the way they were.

imgp3516 In the corner of the laundry room, I have a bulkhead that runs a 4″ dryer vent up and outside. I also have an air conditioning line that runs outside, and happens to drop down lower than my ceiling will be. It extends out close to a foot into the room before it gets high enough to not be a problem.

imgp3530I ended up finding a cabinet that would fit above the washer/dryer, and built a bulkhead to fit around the A/C line, but that would fit with the cabinet so I didn’t have a strange bulkhead sticking down. This was big enough to cover the line, but also not look too unnatural. I built a frame from some spare pieces I had left over, and screwed it into the wall. Note, this does go over part of the drywall.. but unfortunately I didn’t have a solution to this when I put the drywall up, so that’s the way it goes.

After some drywall and mudding..

imgp3539 imgp36591

imgp3734 ..I have a finished cabinet, and bulkhead covering the tiny, unfortunately placed A/C line.